Revisiting Intermittent Fasting

At the end of each week I re-evaluate where I am with my weight loss and make any changes necessary.  As I posted last weekend, I was stalled for a couple of weeks.

One of the things I've done and stuck to is adding 30 minutes of exercise after I get home from work in the early evening.  I believe that is helping to firm me up but I don't think it's burning enough calories to amount to any loss.  It's a good thing and definitely a move in the right direction to make that part of my lifestyle as I age so I'm glad I started it and stuck to it.

I decided to also incorporate intermittent fasting.  Back at the beginning of the year I read up on it and tried OMAD (one meal a day) for a short period.  It was way too drastic a change for me and I couldn't sustain it.

For those not familiar with intermittent fasting, here's a short video by Dr. Berg.  I watch a lot of his videos and I highly recommend his channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwCRjwDs1Ek

I'm still counting calories.  At the end of the day I don't believe it matters what diet you are on as long as you have a deficit.  That's how you loose weight.  If you eat more calories than you need you will gain weight.  I'm a small, 53 year old woman who is post-menopausal.  I have a desk job that requires me to be sitting still for 8 hours a day.  I don't need that many calories.  I believe all these things combined makes it very difficult for me to loose weight.  But, I'm determined to be as healthy as I can be and for me that means loosing at least another 20 pounds.  I'm using all my tools.  I'm counting calories and now I've incorporated intermittent fasting.  I eat from 7 am until 5 pm.  I fast from 5 pm until 7 am the next morning.  That's 12 hours of eating and 14 hours of fasting.

I'd like to eventually shorten my eating window, but I'm going to ease into it.  Right now I'm not having any problem with 12/14 schedule.  I've read that you have to fast for at least 12 hours to see any benefits.  So I'm only getting two hours of those benefits each day.  I'd like that to be more, but for now my goal is to make the 12/14 schedule a lifestyle.  Once I'm there and I'm seeing some results that I can attribute directly to the fasting.

This week I lost 1 pound.  I'm really not sure if it's the exercise or the fasting.  I think I'll have to continue to do what I'm doing and see if the weight continues to go down.



Last weekend I posted about two books that I bought.  One of them, "Power Foods for the Brain", by Neal D. Barnard, MD came in.  I thought it was a list of foods to eat that would improve brain function and overall health.  That's not what it is.  It's Dr. Barnard's case for switching to a plant based diet.  It's good information and I'd like to go more in that direction, but it's just not what I thought it was going to be.  I'm glad I only paid $2 for it used.  It's definitely good information and he does make a great case for becoming vegetarian.  I've tried that before; I went vegetarian for a whole year.  Eventually I went back to eating meat but I do think that a plant based diet can be very healthy.


 Now I want to share a little about what I've been eating.  I'm still crazy about spiralizing zucchini.  It's so easy to do and zucchini is the perfect pasta replacement.  You can eat it raw or you can cook it lightly.  Last week I put it in my lunch containers raw and poured in some sauce.  When I took it out for lunch I put the container in the microwave for 2 minutes.  The zucchini become soft and it's just like eating pasta.  There's only 37 calories in a whole zucchini so you can see that this dish is drastically lower in calories than if I used pasta.

 I made my high protein high fiber berry muffins again.  Look at my list of posts for the recipe.  These are fantastic.  They are only 100 calories each and keep me full until until I have my mid morning snack at 11 am.




So, for the coming week I'm eating salads every day.  What you see above in my salad base: Iceberg and romaine lettuce, spinach and kale.  Kale is very tough so I chop my greens up into very small, bite size pieces.  I put 5 cups of greens into each lunch container and add just a little topping.  The above salads have 3 bean salad, artichoke hearts banana pepper rings and tomatoes.  Just before leaving for work I'll add some Skinny Girl dressing.  It's my favorite low calorie dressing.  It's just 10 calories per 2 Tbl.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Restart of the Container Garden

This Week's Diet Staples

OMAD - Day Three and I'm Hungry!